Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June Ipsy Glam Bag Review

Hey guys!

I decided my first true blog post and youtube video would be a review of this months Ipsy Glam Bag!  If you don't know what Ipsy is, I'll post a link at the end of the video so you can check it out.  It is one of many subscription beauty services where you pay a monthly fee and they send you a little bag each month with different products in it to try.  Ipsy is only $10 a month, (being one of the cheaper subscription bags) and you get four to five products differing in full size and sample size.  They also give you discounts that month on the products in the bag if you want to buy a full size version of anything or try different colours.  If you like trying new products--especially make-up, then this is a great and affordable way to do it!

Now for this months bag, I was about 70% happy with the products I received.  I've been getting the bags since November 2012 and while I do think this is one of the better bags in the last couple of months, some of the products just are not things I'll use or don't suit my skin tone.  But the products themselves are pretty cool!


Here are all the items I got for this month's bag.  Somehow there was a misunderstanding and the actual bag that came with all the goodies was thrown out, so I can't show you that, but if you're wondering it was cheetah print and had a lime green zipper on it.  (I apologize for the cheesy date on my photos!  I am using a new camera and haven't figured out how to turn the date off yet!)  


The first item is a highlighter pencil in the colour ivory lace from Chella.  I actually love this thick pencil and have used it every day since it arrived on the inner corner of my eyes to brighten them up a bit.  I just draw it on and smudge it with my finger and it works like a charm!  And the staying power is great throughout the day!  It can be used for under eye circles, covering red spots and blemishes on the skin, or highlighting the inner eye and brow bone.


Next up is a lip pencil from Starlooks in the shade Bare.  The pencil glides on smooth and I would like it except that I don't have a lip stick that would pair well with this.  I would love this in a bright red or or more nude shade!

Here are both pencils swatched on my hand.  (I'm incredibly pale, I know.  XD ) 


The third item is a mosaic powder by NYX in the shade Silk.  It is a little less orange-y than in the above photo and does have some shimmer to it.  Make note, this is a very pigmented blush, so you don't have to put a lot on your brush.  I really like it for summer and think it blends out nicely.  



This is the J. cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Volta, which did come with two small foam brush applicators, but I threw those out right away.  Initially, I thought this was for the eyes, but then I saw a youtube review of it where someone explicitly said it was not and should be used on the body only.  J. cat's website does clearly state that this can be used on the body AND the eyes, but to just be careful when applying it.  You definitely have to get a couple of layers of the shadow to get a good coverage of glitter, and note that it does not apply evenly at all.  I would also try and use eye shadow shields or be careful when applying because glitter goes everywhere!  It was hard to capture all the different colour flecks on each square, but I'll try and describe them.  The gold square has larger glitter flecks than the other four and has flecks of green, orange, and purple.  Next there is a dark teal colour with silver flecks.  Third is a olive green colour, also with silver flecks.  Fourth is a silver and black colour with traces of green, orange, and purple in it. Lastly there is a dark navy colour with lots of silver flecks.  After looking at all the different colour options on the website, I decided this is not my favourite of the twelve options.  Maybe someday in the far far future I will try and use this for a night out on the town, but I have much higher quality shadows and pigments that would definitely do a better job.


These are the cream shadows I applied on my hand with my finger to show them against the skin.  


The last item I got in my bag was this pair of J. cat Eyelashes and Eyelash Glue in EL33.  While they are quite thick, I would totally wear these on Justin and I's next night out with some vampy make-up!  I have only ever used Urban Decay false eyelashes before, so trying out some new ones will be great!  

If you watch/read any other ipsy reviews for this month, keep in mind there is usually one product that can differ person to person.  I saw most people got a liquid liner from a company called Cailyn while some got these lashes or a Psssst! Dry Shampoo sample from Freeman Beauty.  So don't worry if you don't get the exact same bag each month as everyone else!

That is it for the products in the June Glam Bag!  I will post a link to all the websites for each company the products are from below, along with the Ipsy site.  I hope you guys find this review to be helpful!  If you have any suggestions, let me know for my next beauty product review.  =]  I will post the youtube video review of everything hopefully this week, (I'm racing against time with work and good lighting and a trip to pack for this weekend to San Diego =] ).  Thanks for reading!  <3

Links

Youtube: youtube.com/user/Shelby1879

Ipsy: www.ipsy.com

Chella Highlighting Pencil: chella.com/products/item/lace_highlighter_pencil

Starlooks Lip Pencil: starlooks.com/collections/signature-sets/products/ipsy-featured-lip-liners

NYX Mosaic Powder Blush: nyxcosmetics.com/p-22-mosaic-powder-blush.aspx

J. cat Sparkling Cream Palette: jcatbeauty.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

J. cat Eyelashes + Eyelash Glue: jcatbeauty.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_46&product_id=53

And if you're really bored, here are links to my tumblr, pinterest, and instagram!  =D

Tumblr: madasahattter.tumblr.com

Pinterest: pinterest.com/shelby1879

Instagram: instagram.com/shelby1879

No comments:

Post a Comment